Our Lady holding Jesus as He accepts flowers from the shepherd child

Our Lady holding Jesus as He accepts flowers from the shepherd child

Welcome to our intercessory prayer ministry for families, babies, little ones and those who love them.

In our prayers for families, we pray for the sanctity of all life and for vocations to marriage, the priesthood and consecrated life, which are born and nurtured in families.

The
Prayer of Entrustment to Mary was prayed for this ministry at the icon of the Madonna Salus Populi Romani (Salvation of the Roman People, Our Lady of Good Health) in the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore (Basilica of Mary Major) in Rome, Italy, in Nossa Senhora do Rosario da Fatima (Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary) in Fatima, Portugal, in Eglise du Sacre-Coeur (Sacred Heart Parish Church), the site of St. Bernadette's baptismal font, in Lourdes, France and at The National Shrine of The Divine Mercy in Stockbridge, Massachusetts at the Shrine of the Holy Innocents before Our Lady of Guadalupe and at Basilica Papale de San Pietro in Vaticano (St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City) at the Tomb of St. John Paul II in Rome, Italy and at the Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe (Basilica of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe) in Mexico City, Mexico.

This ministry is consecrated to Jesus Christ, Wisdom Incarnate, through the hands of Mary and dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary. In our prayers to Mary, we honor and worship her Son Jesus. When He was on the Cross, He gave His Mother to John and she became our Mother as well. "Behold, your Mother." John 19:27

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
For the greater glory of God

July 27, 2014

Reflection: How great thou art

How varied are Your works, Lord! In wisdom, You have made them all; the earth is full of Your creatures.  There is the sea, great and wide!  It teems with countless beings, living things both large and small.  Psalm 104:24-25

I love the seashore and gazing at the beauty of God's creation. About eight years ago, I was with my family in Kennebunkport, Maine.  We were driving along the seashore and decided to stop at a beach.  It was a busy area, with many cars and people.  As we parked the car, I looked up and said, "Look, there's a moose!" Someone in the car said, "Yea, right, Mary."  There it was, a young moose crossing the busy street heading toward the beach.  I was amazed at the enormity of this creature!  He was very frightened and disoriented and he ran onto the beach.  It was low tide and the beach was crowded with people and many children, playing in the sand.  As the moose ran, people stopped, in awe, at the immensity of this creature.  As he ran toward them, fear overtook them and they ran away and scattered.  The moose was agitated, his legs flailing. We prayed that no one would be hurt.  The moose was so frightened that he ran to the ocean and began swimming straight out.  He kept swimming and swimming, further and further out. If he continued, the moose was going to wear himself out and drown.  Suddenly, a man appeared in a small motorboat.  He got in front of the moose and gently guided the moose to change direction and swim to the left.  The boat stayed with the moose, gently guiding him to a deserted section of the beach.  The moose plopped down on the sand then quickly got up and ran to the underbrush which led to the grounds of a beautiful, old Episcopal Church, not far from the Bush Family home.  He was free and safe at last.

The memory of this moment in time has come back to me often over these years.  What an awesome sight to witness!  Recently, this memory came back to me.  As I reflected on it, the Lord showed me something new.  He showed me how He is with us in every moment of our lives.  Nature tells us much about God and about man.  God is the Creator and Sustainer of the heavens and the earth.

The earth is the Lord’s and all it holds, the world and those who dwell in it.  For He founded it on the seas, established it over the rivers.  Psalm 24:1-2

As I have reflected on this moment in time, witnessing the moose, I thought of the young moose as myself; maybe you will see yourself too.  When fear overtakes us, we can become disoriented, not knowing where to go.  We may see something that looks amazing, such as the sight of a young moose running on the beach.  We may be inclined to run toward the moose to get a better look.  This is like temptation or sin. Often temptation can appear to be something good.  In reality, if we succumb and go in that direction, we can put ourselves in danger.  Being close to a frightened moose is not safe.  When we put ourselves in danger, we become fearful and we have turned away from the Lord.  When we fix our eyes on the Lord, He makes our path clear.  As I reflected about the moose, I have come to see the man in the boat as God.  Our Heavenly Father is always watching over us and when we are going off track, He is there to gently guide us back on the right path.  As I think about God in that moment, He was there on the beach, protecting the little children playing in the sand.  God is in every moment of our lives.  He is always with us, guiding and protecting us.  When we listen to Him and follow His ways, we are free and safe like the moose who was gently guided to the shore.

How lovely Your dwelling, O Lord of Hosts!  My soul yearns and pines for the courts of the Lord.  My heart and flesh cry out for the living God.  As the sparrow finds a home and the swallow a nest to settle her young, my home is by Your altars, Lord of Hosts, my King and my God!  Blessed are those who dwell in Your house! They never cease to praise You.  Psalm 84:2-5

The Scriptures repeatedly turn our attention to lessons about life and conduct through nature.  God reveals Himself, through His Word, in the stories in the Bible which form pictures in our minds and our hearts.  Nature is the work of God and His plan for Creation.  How great is our God, Creator of heaven and earth!      
     
How Great Thou Art

O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder, consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made; I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art. Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art!

When through the woods and forest glades I wander, and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees. When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur and see the brook and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art. Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art!

And when I think of God, His Son not sparing; sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in; that on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing, He bled and died to take away my sin.

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art. Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art!

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation, and take me home, what joy shall fill my heart. Then I shall bow, in humble adoration, and then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art. Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee, how great Thou art, how great Thou art!

Father God, we give You thanks for being with us in all the moments of our lives.  Bless and protect all those we pray for through this ministry though the intercession of our beautiful Blessed Mother Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment